This is your step by step guide to the best slot features, what they are and how they can help you win. To give you the most detailed rundown possible, we’ve covered topics concerning the types of features you’ll come across, how to recognise them and choose the best ones.
We’ve also got our casinos pros to compile a list of top online casinos where you can play slots with some of the exciting features any time you like.
What are Slot Reel Features?
There’s much more to video slots than just special symbols, regular paylines or ways to win mechanics. Slot reel features like Reel Swap and Locked Reels can boost your winning chances. Many games also have unique interactive features like Reel Hold where you have to manually choose which reel you want to hold in place for the next spin.
- Wild Reels consist solely of wild symbols, hence the feature name, giving you increased chances to form more winning combinations.
- Twin Reels or the Reel Sync feature is exceptionally well represented in the popular Twin Spin slot sequel, Twin Spin Megaways from NetEnt. During the game, a set of adjacent reels, up to 5, can be chosen to twin or sync at the start of each spin in the base game or the bonus round, increasing your ways to win accordingly.
Another way to win better is to play slots with win boosters. In some slots win boosters such as respins, multipliers, nudges and especially avalanche or tumbling reels can take center stage.
- Respins will give you a second chance to win, while multipliers double, triple or even quadruple your wins depending on the game. When multipliers don’t reset between spins, they can be super lucrative during bonus rounds or mini-games. Nudging reels also give you a second chance to win by introducing a new row of symbols which could help you complete wins.
- The avalanche mechanic, during which winning symbols are removed, and the empty positions are filled with new symbols is particularly popular in many video slots. The reason is that any new wins formed will be added to the existing win on the same spin resulting in possible bigger wins.
- The epic NetEnt’s Gonzo’s Quest is the perfect example of the Tumbling Reels
In-game bonus rounds are the best part of any slot game. They add an extra dimension to the game and increase your chances of winning even though they don’t cost you anything from your balance. Ultimately, bonus rounds are where the biggest wins happen. In most slots, they can be triggered by landing a required number of scatters or other special bonus symbols in the base game.
Bonus rounds can be classified into two fundamental categories: free spins and bonus games.
- The in-game free spins bonus round awards a number of free spins that don’t affect your play balance. Depending on the game, you can win 5, 10, 20 or more free spins whenever you trigger a free spins bonus round. Often, you can trigger the bonus round by spinning Scatter or bonus symbols.
- The bonus game category includes in-game rounds like Bonus Wheel, Mini-Slot, Pick a Bonus, Jackpot Bonus and many more unique features. These can be triggered in a number of different ways usually specified in the paytable.
You’ll find several more slot features in the below table that can add more excitement to your gameplay and improve your winning potential.
Bonus rounds are amazing features available on online games as well as online slots, offering you the chance to win extra rewards. Before playing, make sure you understand the rules and set yourself a budget that you can stick to. Take advantage of free spin offers and always weigh up the risk vs reward before taking part in bonus rounds. Lastly, have fun and play responsibly!